- Organized the group, established bylaws, officers, non profit status, and a web site.
- Held a series of pancake breakfasts as fund raisers
- Developed and started selling Scusset beach stickers as a fund raiser.
- Received a donation of numerous hand and power tools from an estate that are used by the park
- Took part in our first park serve day.
- Awarded our first DCR matching funds partnership grant to purchase the materials for a new boardwalk.
- Constructed a new, ADA compliant boardwalk from the jetty parking lot to the canal service road and held a dedication for same.
- Held a series of pancake breakfasts as well as continuing selling Scusset stickers as fund raisers.
- Took part in our second Park Serve Day
- Awarded our 2nd DCR partnership grant towards materials for a new campground path.
- Constructed a new ADA compliant pathway from the bath house to the beach parking lot in the campground to improve access.
- Established a friends group face book page.
- Held a fall pancake breakfast as well as continuing selling Scusset stickers as fund raisers.
- Held the first annual Scusset 5K walk/Run
- 3rd Park Serve Day
- Awarded 3rd DCR partnership grant for improvements to exterior of Beach bath houses.
- Purchased painting supplies and landscape materials as well as labor for landscaping at the Beach Bath houses.
- Provided a thank you party for Student Conservation Association workers who installed new lumber at safari field.
- Vice President Paul Loiselle chosen Volunteer or the year and Supervisor DeCosta as DCR friend of the year by the statewide friends group network.
- Organized first Friends Group Safari Campout.
- Held 2nd annual Scusset 5K walk and run
- 4th Park Serve Day
- Awarded 4th DCR partnership grant for Phase 1 of the Playground area
- Construction of Phase 1 of the playground
- Provided refreshments to DCR staff from several parks who help to build new boardwalk.
- Organized a dedication ceremony for the new boardwalk
- President Elise Smith and her husband Rick chosen as volunteers of the year by the statewide Friends Group network.
- Organized a series of Friends Group safari Campouts
- 3rd Annual Scusset 5K walk/run
- 5th Park Serve Day.
- Awarded 5th DCR partnership grant towards Phase 2 of Playground
- Held a Family Fun Day event in connection with the Cape Cod Canal’s 100th anniversary celebration.
- Provided labor and equipment for the installation of new rail fence in the playground, fire pit and work yard areas.
- Added baseball caps and post cards to fund raising merchandise.
- Help a spring fishing derby.
- Provided a Pizza party thank you to Cape Cod Voke students who built the new gatehouse
- A truck box for Ranger (donated by Paul & Linda Porazzo a member of the Friends)
- From the supervisor’s wish list the Friends of Scusset purchased:
- Lawn mower parts
- PA System,
- Chop Saw with blades and stand
- Two Sandwich Boards and additional lettering
- Three hand held Counters
- Lawn Roller
Due to the campground being under construction and closed for a new Electrical Systems, the Friends of Scusset missed doing two of their “Friends Fundraisers”. The campground section of the Reservation did not open until July. The Fish Pier and the beach areas were opened as scheduled.
The Friends purchased two benches for outside the office area which have been installed. These benches will be dedicated to the memory of “Norma Cotter” who did the “Friends” Web Page and Newsletter. She was also the DCR Employee who greeted you in the office. Norma will be missed by all.
The Friends also purchased a bench dedicated to the memory of “Tom McSweeney” an avid supporter of Scusset Beach. This bench will be installed at the beach at the end of the boardwalk. The bench was purchased with funds from donations made in Mr. McSweeney’s name to the Friends of Scusset Beach. Also requested by the family, another bench for the playground in memory of Mr. McSweeney’s and a Doggie Waste Station for the playground.
Due to the death of Friends member Paul Porazzo (husband of Treasurer, Linda) a fund was set up to purchase a bench or benches within the campground section of the park. These are ordered and will be placed within the campground this year and also funds available for “Doggie Waste Stations”.
The Friends also purchased for the Park Supervisor two Echo Weed Trimmers, a Welding Tank for use within the Reservation.
The Beach Building has been painted with the help of laborers from the prison, and work on the roof has been completed.
- Assist park staff with beautification and painting projects in the spring.
- Purchase much needed equipment for the park as requested by the supervisor as funds are available. Some of these items include a drill press, screw gun, power cut off miter saw, back leaf blower, power pole saw, letter boards, and vehicle PA system.